Tactical Defense Firearms Training
Our dynamic JHSE Tactical Defense class is variable in length, and our prerequisite is typically that participants have shot with us in our Multi-Gun Experience or are otherwise experienced shooters. This includes shooting at least 100 shots in each of 3 separate range visits in the previous 6 months, whether in competition, serious practice including drawing from the holster, or in reputable training (not Utah CFP) classes or similar. This Tactical Defense courses are NOT FOR BEGINNERS.
Unlike our Multi-Gun shooting experience, in our Tactical Defense courses you should expect to get a few small scrapes & bruises and your clothing and shoes should not be your finest as they will likely get dirty & scuffed when you get down and shoot from the dusty, snowy or muddy ground! Of course if you prefer to participate at a less strenuous level; we will not force you to get dirty and scratched! This is a dynamic CQB shooting class, and is designed to help you become your best. Some people enjoy using three guns including pistol, carbine and shotgun, while others prefer to hone in on only pistol, carbine or shotgun.
- Upon arrival, you may use your own guns and gear or ours, as arranged during booking.
- You will participate in a safety briefing.
- Afterward, each of your skill and comfort levels will be individually analyzed by your coach, some students will enter this session knowing more than others and some will be safer handling the firearms. Your coach will set the pace of the class based on these factors and your stated objectives.
Depending on your demonstrated safety and consistent adherence to drill instructions (not based on skill or speed) your coach will determine how many shooters will be on the firing line at a time. Typically, one person is on the firing line per instructor.
You will then learn and hone skills as your instructor leads you through numerous drills. Every Tactical Defense training for civilians course is different as we customize it specifically for you and yours. Each instructor has a different set of skills and experiences that they use as they develop this course in real time based on your skills and needs. Skill sets taught might include:
- Shooting accurately while moving
- Core skills
- Draw and presentation speed
- Real world adaptability – Situational and personal tactical awareness
- Instinctive (reflexive) shooting
- Combat (reactive) and tactical (proactive) reloads
- Turns and pivots
- Shooting accuracy from a variety of positions
- Active shooter responses
- Shoot/no shoot decision making
- Effective engagement from around obstacles
- Use of cover, engaging multiple targets
- Target priority
- Inoculation to high stress shooting
- Physical and mental conditioning in readiness for the fight
- Speed drills, accuracy drills
- V-tac style drills both with carbine and pistols
- Controlled pairs (double taps)
- Shooting while injured
- Combat trauma care
- Stoppage drills for clearing malfunctions and many more CQB skills!
You will be pushed beyond your comfort levels and will improve whatever skill level you previously had, while keeping the activity safe. You may shoot as much or as little ammunition as you like. When you call to book, please give us an idea of your preferences. We can limit ammunition to match your preferences.
All targets, firearms, range fees, water, hearing and eye protection and your private coach are included in the price. Use our ammo or yours.
Scott Austin, Tony Molina & Shepard Humphries, co-developers of this course, implement the best teaching methods from performance shooting sports and military/law enforcement tactics of our time to help shooters advance from whatever their previous level was. Their goal in providing tactical training for civilians is to help everyone get a bit better each time they shoot, and for those who already know it all, this is a fun course to use as a practice session.
Shepard has a law enforcement background, working on a SWAT team as an Entry Operator before promoting to the Sniper Unit and eventually becoming the Sniper Team Leader. Shepard’s experience working beside and training with various organizations including FBI Hostage Rescue Team and U.S. Secret Service coupled with his teaching style provide students with a positive learning experience. Shepard also provides security consultation and executive protection training & services to UHNWI and corporations, both local security companies in Jackson Hole like Clearwater Protection as well as other states. Evidently some folks at a farm also hold him in high regards. 😉
Our team of firearms trainers are world class and we are proud to provide this advanced firearms training. Learn more about our current coaches who are leading this training. Each instructor that teaches this Tactical Defense 3 Gun class offers a different set of skills and experience, and all will push students to higher levels.