Available May to October, Basic Details:
- All shotgun reservations are in the afternoon; mornings are a challenge because the sun is directly in participants’ eyes!
- 1.5 to 2 hours, 200 clays included (details below)
- Minimum age for participants is 14; shotguns kick harder than the average rifle or pistol, and this sport is a challenging one to learn, so this activity is not suitable for young children. We recommend the Multi-Gun Rifle and Pistol Experience for groups with younger children or participants with smaller frames (and any other groups as well – it’s unique in all the world!).
- Unlike the Multi-Gun Rifle and Pistol Experience, which is never canceled due to weather, this Experience is not under shelter. This means we’re at the mercy of the weather man and will be in contact the day before your Experience if the weather isn’t cooperating.
About This Shotgun Clays Experience
Shooting with shotguns is historically the most popular shooting sports activity. Many “games” are played around the world with shotguns and clay targets including Trap, 5-Stand, Skeet and Sporting Clays. The shooting range in Jackson Hole that we use for most of our shotgun experiences has a 5-Stand course and a Trap course. –Pricing–
Using a variety of our shotguns, participants will shoot clay pigeon targets which are thrown quickly through the air in various directions from machines. Shotgun shooting is NOT recommended for those that dislike large recoil on their shoulders. For those with little experience shooting, we suggest you consider our more “novice-friendly” Multi-Gun Rifle and Pistol Experience.
Shotgun selection, ammunition, flying clay targets, hearing and eye protection, instructor, range fees, drinks, finger snacks and course set-up and clean-up are included in your shotgun experience. The length of your experience will vary with group preferences, level of experience, desired individual and group pace, etc., as well as the scheduled start time of groups following yours if applicable.
Upon arrival, you will meet your shotgun coach and engage in a safety briefing. You will be outfitted with eye and ear protection, guns and ammunition. Your coach will assist you as you learn to shoot clays, and when everyone is comfortable, you will begin your first round!
Shotguns which might be selected for your shooting enjoyment (based on your experience, physique & desire) include:
- Beretta Over-Under 12-Gauge Shotgun
- Benelli M2 Semi-Auto 12-Gauge Shotgun
- CZ Over-Under 12-Gauge Shotguns
- Stoeger Condor Over-Under Interchangeable 12- or 20-Gauge Shotgun
- CZ Over-Under 20-Gauge Shotguns
- Stoeger Over-Under “Longfowler” 12-Gauge Shotgun
- Remington 870 Pump Action 12-Gauge Shotgun
- Winchester Model 1300 Pump 12-Gauge Shotgun
- Stoeger Condor Competition Over-Under 12-Gauge Shotguns
- Remington 1100 Semi-Auto 12-Gauge Shotgun
- Stoeger Over-Under Youth 20-Gauge Shotgun
About Clay Rounds
Each “round” consists of 25 clay targets and can take as little as 10 minutes or as long as an hour, depending on the number of participants, level of experience, and your group’s preferred pace. Up to five guests can be on the firing line at a time, which offers an excellent way to involve larger groups in shooting fun as participants rotate in after cheering and jeering for their friends! Lawn chairs are located just behind the firing line for observers. We provide cold water and snacks.
The shotgun range in Jackson Hole currently offers a challenging, fun 5-Stand course. Your coaches will customize your course to create a unique, challenging and fun shotgun clays experience for all skills levels. A Trap course is also sometimes available, and regardless of the course, you will have a great time!
What is the difference between Trap, Skeet, 5-Stand, Sporting Clays and other games played with shotguns and clay targets? Check out this great info-graphic from Outdoor Hub. Our founder Shepard Humphries also explains below:
*Firearms used and the number of shots each guest fires in this Jackson Hole Skeet Shotgun Clays Experience will depend on several factors including the number of guests in your party and how quickly your group prefers to move through the challenges and instruction. Very slight body-frames may not be able to safely or comfortably shoot the largest caliber firearms; your coach will advise when on the range. Please appreciate that shotgunning is not appropriate for most children’s body frames, and that our Multi-Gun Experience is a better choice. Firearms sometimes require servicing and substitutions may be made when necessary. There is not shelter over-head for this outdoor Shotgun Clays Experience; please dress for the weather; a ball cap or other hat which will fit under electronic earmuffs is also handy, particularly in the mornings due to sun direction. Parties with more than 5 guests may enjoy a second coach to engage guests not actively on the firing line in other activities. We will charge your credit card on file if you cancel within 72 hours of your scheduled Experience IF we cannot place another family or group with your secured coach & private bay reservation. One guest will be firing at a time until you get a feel for safety and the fundamentals; you are encouraged to cheer & jeer your fellow participants! We are a Private Instruction Company contracting use of the JH Gun Club shooting range; sometimes community, youth or law enforcement groups, etc, will host events which will supersede our scheduled reservations, not always with tremendous notice; we at JHSE will bend over backwards to reschedule your Shotgun Clays Experience to fit your schedule and/or secure an alternative location as available.