Please Do Not share this position description or any information from it with anyone. We only direct a select few to this page, we are fortunate enough to be a desirable place to work. 🙂 If you “accidented upon this page” please just don’t share it.
LUXURY SHOOTING EXPERIENCE FUN GURU (COACH / INSTRUCTOR)
OPEN – Seasonal Semi-FULL TIME Lead Coach June 1 to September 15, 2021, including Sundays -Contractor Status
(This project includes approximately 300 to 500 hours of work (with a possibility for more as needed by company and desired by coach) (None promised, amount of work based on observed excellence – best coaches get the most work) in the stated time-frame, with schedule being dictated day by day based on client’s and company’s needs)
OPEN – PART TIME Assistant Coach & Lead Coach Year Round On-Call – Contractor Status
This position is perfect for the person that does not need a guaranteed income. We pick the best coach for each client … some coaches are OK for large corporate groups when they have stronger coaches beside them to lean on. Others are so great with all sorts of clients that we wish they would work 70 hours per week. Others quickly become Senior Lead Coaches and only work occasionally. This position requires availability to work on Saturdays and Sundays.
It takes a lot of time and effort on our part to get a new coach trained in our methods, and this huge investment is only “worth it” to us if you can commit to at least 2 shift per week May through Sept. Many of the people we have hired over the last 10 years promised to spend time and energy getting themselves ready, however only a rare few actually put in the effort, and fewer still are actually available for shifts when we ask. This is why we are so in-depth in our screening process.
Position Descriptions … not every part is relevant for every position …
The Jackson Hole Shooting Experience, an intense and exciting company pioneering the luxury entertainment shooting industry, is looking for coaches to join our team of fun gurus working to provide safe, fun and educational firearms shooting experiences for high net worth individuals in Jackson Hole, Wyoming and beyond. Our instructors and other team members are hard-working, smart, friendly, service oriented, and do NOT have an “employee mentality.”
A Non-Compete/Non Disclosure Agreement must be signed.
This position is NOT for “serious” or “tactical” training. 99% of what you will be doing is coaching our Multi-Gun Rifle & Pistol Experience.
- Set up and take down targets and other range equipment
- Be proficient & timely with texting – this is primarily how we communicate
- Have a Google account and be familiar with Gmail, Calendar and Docs
- Use psychology, cutting edge educational techniques and incredible interpersonal skills to create the best 3 hours of any vacation activity our clients have ever had. This is achieved by coaching clients as they shoot dozens of guns as part of a vacation activity package (Other skill development instruction (tactical defense, pre-hunt, LRR, etc) may be a secondary field; the crux of this position will be in Entertainment Shooting Experiences with families and corporate groups.)
- Assist in current marketing tasks and develop/implement new marketing strategies
- Be an ambassador for our brand and for responsible shooting fun.
- Maintain and clean firearms
- Organize and maintain range gear, storage and workspace
- Handle occasional phone reception, booking and coach-coordination duties.
- Other duties that help make JHSE awesome!
Because of our firm’s small size, ALL team members are eager to do any and all tasks needing to be done. NEVER does anyone on our team utter the blasphemy, “That’s not my job” or “I didn’t take on this job to do THAT”, or “that’s not in my pay grade”.
An example of a typical “long-day” for a senior lead coach might be:
- Arrive at the shooting range at 6am and set up the range for the day’s shooting experiences, which begin at 8am.
- At 7am another coach or two might join you and set up their benches for their guests.
- At 8am greet your family of 3 guests, provide a safety briefing and provide them with the best 3-hour shooting experience that has ever happened in the history of the world.
- At 11am, collect payment from your guests and bid them farewell, then quickly rush to sweep brass and refresh equipment in preparation for your noon guest’s arrival. There is a good chance that your next clients will arrive early and therefore you will not have time for lunch.
- Serve up an even better shooting experience for your second group starting at noon and ending at 3pm.
- Take down equipment and be finished for the day by 345pm…
- All of this will be done on hard cement floors.
One week you might get 3 shifts like the above example, the next week 6 shifts, another week only 2 experiences in the morning all week long. Our Booking Gurus select the best coach for each family. If you are an incredible coach, you will get more work. If you are brilliant, are an expert with firearms but if are not the most “likable” coach; you will get far fewer shifts. Shifts are not guaranteed. A few of our long-term Sr. Lead coaches are essentially full-time.
This issue is tough, I get it. You are trying to plan your summer and we are not making any guarantees. Rent for a spare bedroom in someone’s house in JH is a minimum of $1,000/month. Chat with management about this, we are happy to put you in touch with other coaches to see what their perspective is. There is a 99% chance that if you are looking at this page; one of our coaches shared it with you, and if they are still coaching with us, well …
Applicants should have at least 15 years of full-time experience in customer service or ability to learn and enjoy “high-end” customer service, have never-ending patience, attention to detail, a welcoming permagrin, an incredible personality and other traits necessary for the provision of firearms training & experiences to discriminating mostly-novice clients.
Applicant must possess strong personality skills, demand of themselves a high level of personal responsibility, have a strong work ethic and have the ability to work independently.
95% of this job is PERSONALITY (Which I capitalized to suggest a BIG personality.) 🙂
Applicant must have the mental wherewithal to always “remain positive” and display to other coaches, vendors, clients and the rest of the world a genuine happiness for their labor of love; safe, fun and educational shooting experiences and instruction.
We hope that the applicant is available at all times for last-minute needs. Owners have traditionally worked over 90 hours per week, and seek realists that prefers S or B on the cashflow quadrant and have a “get it done” attitude that is not influenced by clocks. Must be able to legally buy & possess a gun in the US.
Coach must be able to stand for a full day on hard surfaces, this is challenging for many backs.
Coach must be “classy” and professional in appearance. A wealthy conservative grandma should describe our team as, “Nice, fit, polite clean-cut and sharp looking coaches.”
- Experience in self-employment & business ownership
- Experience as a concierge, activity guide, corporate event planner or other demanding experience in customer service for high net worth individuals
- Fluent in Japanese, Chinese, Hebrew, French or Indian
- Home-schooled, private schooled or better yet; un-schooled
- Familiarity with shooting sports
Applicant may or may not have a background in firearms. We are seeking the perfect person, and as such will be able to quickly and thoroughly learn and apply the necessary skills for the position. Having said that, we expect applicants to be proficient in firearms, and we will help teach the right person. If you don’t know it all, we have a system for your familiarization, and while we don’t pay you to reach this minimum standard, we provide the guns and ammo for learning!
Applicants will exude a great deal of maturity and a consistently positive attitude.
Applicant will sign a confidentiality and no-compete agreement. We have developed a proprietary and relevant business model which spans a breadth much wider than ‘gun knowledge’, and our affluent guests covet their privacy.
The nature of our business and coach’s contractor legal status is unique. This people in these positions should expect to have an erratic schedule, with some weeks only working 20 hours and other weeks working 60+ hours. A full-time coach with a great personality could anticipate earning about $4,000 to $7,000 per month + gratuities. Let’s chat in person after we review your video and resume about what this position would look like for you and for the company in terms of hours, roles, compensation, etc.
You will get out of this opportunity what you put into it. If you are rarely available, are curt with our booking gurus, “nickel & dime” us on your minutes worked, do not go above and beyond, frequently ask for days off, don’t volunteer for tasks, don’t ride for the brand or if you have an “employee” attitude or another kind of negative attitude, we are not a good fit. You will notice that you are not getting invited to do as much work.
Applicant must have understanding that the cost of living in Jackson Hole is very high (a single room in a ski-bum’s apartment is $1,000+/mo, a 2-bedroom apartment is over $2100…).
As a contractor, health insurance, worker’s comp, retirement accounts and other benefits that many employees feel a sense of entitlement to are not part of this contract. As a contractor, you will be paid what translates to a higher wage per hour than we could pay an employee because we will not withhold anything for government extortion demands (taxes, socialized insecurity etc). As a contractor, you can deduct expenses applicable to your skill development (such as travel and fees for industry related training, firearms and ammo with which you develop your skills to be the best instructor you can be, etc…) It is well-worth consulting a CPA after our initial interview to see if our unique situation works for you. Our current successful coaches love this system and feel that they are compensated “very well.”
As a subcontractor, it is your responsibility to provide a copy of your instructor liability insurance to the Company, we can show you how you can buy this $160 policy.
Instructor will invoice our bookkeeping department by 5pm on the 15th and last day of each month via email; checks will be written and postmarked by the 5th and 20th of each month.
Contractor Application Process
This process could be MUCH easier. Just so you know, 80% of the people that we invited to look at this page already got bored and clicked away. That works out well for us and for them. Thank you for investing the time in yourself to read all of this page at least once. We want to only hear from people who are SERIOUS about the position and that are willing to step outside their comfort zones. 🙂
- Applicants will either meet with a manager for a brief latte interview, or if out of town, enjoy a Zoom video chat with a manager or owner. If we are not nearby, we want to get as close as possible to “meeting” and “get to know” you.
We will share our observations with our Executive Leadership Team and decide if we will invite you to move on to phase 2. If you are moved to phase two, you will be asked to:
- You will meet with a different manager, or if out of town, have a Zoom meeting with a different manager.
- You will take this quick quiz and email the results to email@example.com https://www.tonyrobbins.com/artist-manager-entrepreneur-quiz/
- You will take this DISC profile test and share the DISC and VALUES results at the above email address. https://www.tonyrobbins.com/disc/
We will then select the top candidates and arrange to meet them, then perform a background investigation.
If we then invite you to start training, you should count on learning the details of all our guns on your own time as well as observing (without pay) some other instructors performing experiences. We pay a healthy hourly amount because we expect you to be fully “ready to go.” Some of our instructors already had extensive knowledge of guns and only spent a couple hours boning up on our guns and procedures until they easily passed our final exam. Others have claimed to be experts in “more weapon systems than they could count” and yet still have never moved beyond “Assistant Coach.” You MUST be a humble self-starter! 🙂 Obviously, education to make yourself excellent for this position is your responsibility. Kind of like spending four years and $75k on college, you make yourself “educated & proficient” on your own dime.
More details – are we a good fit? Our philosophy:
- We are supposed to have a great and rewarding time serving our awesome guests, and our team never says junk like, “I was supposed to have this afternoon off.” NO! You are “supposed” to make money working long and hard hours being awesome serving our awesome guests! Right?
- Every part of our business is everyone’s “job.”
- Our pay is more than double the national average for shooting instructors. We give “much” and we expect “much” in return. If you need supervision, are not mature, have a mediocre personality, speak too slowly, quietly, or loudly, don’t pick up on social queues, are not an outgoing, highly skilled professional that sounds great, smells great, looks great and makes those around you have an awesome day, this isn’t the right opportunity for you.
- Our team makes fast decisions that are usually good. A person who needs detailed direction and close micromanagement will not do well.
- This position is NOT the right fit for most professional warriors or competitive shooters.
- Our leadership team hates managing; we expect our team to be self-motivated intelligent problem-solvers that will manage themselves and if they don’t know something, will seek out the education in our detailed manual, online or elsewhere. Then, without prompting, they write an improved section for our manual so that others can benefit from what they have learned. Somewhere above on this page I mentioned the “Cash Flow Quadrant.” The type of person that successfully instructs with us would have immediately Googled that term if they didn’t understand it … they would NOT ask us what it means, thereby creating more work for us. 🙂
- 40 hours of work per week was a number the government invented to further their Marxist passions, and it is ridiculous and ignored by entrepreneurs and hard-working folks who want to get ahead and live an Unscripted life. If 60 hours’ worth of work needs to be done, let’s buck up and get it done rather than hiring another part-time person, right?
- This applicant will be ‘clean cut’ and professional in appearance, recognizing the affluence of our clients. We have a servant attitude with every guest until we earn from them a “respected expert” status. We hire the kind of people that keep their hair cuts short & professional, their teeth clean and straight and don’t have visible tattoos. Grammar is incredibly important, as is maturity and classy “appropriateness.” Most of our guests are not millennials, and they are not “super chill” about coaches who sound “totally clutch.” Our guests will come to know and trust you; they are inviting you into an important part of their life (their first shots with a gun, overcoming a fear, helping them bond with their family, lending your expertise encouraging a new skills, etc) – they will request you by name when they return next year because you have become friends during their Multi-Gun Experience. We are not a company who wants to have the reputation of being bad-ass militaristic-style, high-speed, low-drag tacti-cool jerk instructors – we are the kinder, gentler coaches with a personal passion for sharing our love of the shooting sports with new friends. This is our niche and we are #1 in the world at it. Our guests learn SO much in our safe, educational and FUN environment ~ and it works!
- If you think you already know just about everything and don’t have much to learn from your field training program, you are probably correct and you are probably WAY to good for us, we encourage you to find a world famous school like Front Sight that will be a better fit for you.
- A person with a great personality, a strong work ethic, passion for sharing their passion for the shooting sports, absolute attention to detail, and an open-minded desire to learn will discover that their time with us is very worthwhile and will be treasured for a lifetime. We encourage you to ask us for contact info so that you an interview our current coaches.
Let’s make this great!