Soon we will be listing descriptions for 3 positions we need for summer 2017, please check back soon!
To be notified when descriptions are available, please email shepard at shootinjh.com
Firearms & Range Operations INTERNSHIP
The Jackson Hole Shooting Experience, an intense and exciting company pioneering the luxury entertainment shooting industry, is looking for an intern to join our range team working to provide safe, fun and educational firearms shooting experiences for high net worth individuals in Jackson Hole, Wyoming and beyond.
Our world-class instructors are hard-working, smart, friendly, service oriented, and they need interns to work in our Armory Services and Range Setup areas. The intern hired for this position should expect to learn other facets of operating an entertainment shooting business, will have the opportunity to practice the work ethic of a self-employed person, and will leave this position with invaluable skills and industry knowledge. This internship program is unique, and successful participation will not only teach business and work ethic skills, but will also give you real-world hands-on experience with firearms/ range operations AND will be great fun. The business owner’s are driven entrepreneurs and enjoy sharing business, philosophic and economic wisdom.
Interns considering working in law enforcement or for militaries are not the right fit for this position.
Responsibilities (for the first 10 hours)
- Miscellaneous duties as requested to include errands, internet research, etc…
- Under-promise and over deliver – 100 dependable
- Set up equipment and targets (1-hour daily task) in preparation for 8am or 9am client arrival for 5 days each week.
- Maintain and clean firearms as directed by the Range Manager & Armorer
- Additional work as needed to meet company goals
- Self-education as assigned (reading, youtube etc) to meet our mutual goals. (For example, watching videos to learn how to field strip and reassemble a Ruger Mark III or Ar-15, read an article on terminal ballistics regarding steel targets, etc.)
- Videotape & photograph each gun and or other similar projects
Opportunities (for the next ??? hours)
We are only guaranteeing 10 hours each week. We want to exchange a ton-load more value though! We are a small business and need “producers” that are self-motivated and figure stuff out on their own when possible. We do not want to waste our time “bossing” you.
Our team expects other team members to push themselves personally and professionally. We are not “employee” types. We are all about working long hours, going above and beyond and creating excellence for ourselves. If this culture is appealing to you, we would love to connect and see if we are a good fit! Self-made millionaires find the concept of 40-hour work weeks to be laughable, “how could anyone only spend such a tiny amount of their day creating their awesome future?!” If you have a 40-hour “employee” attitude, we will not be a good fit.
Additional opportunities beyond 14 hours will be offered as needed to team members that we think will do them with excellence, they are not guaranteed.
- Handle phone reception, booking and coach-coordination duties.
- Compete in local shooting competitions to improve shooting skills – Unpaid, but use our guns & gear!
- Learn to handload metallic cartridges – Unpaid, but I bet some of our coaches would love to teach you.
- Conduct logistical and legal research, subsequent government applications, etc. regarding shooting instruction in various regions of the US, as well as internationally.
- Refresh targets, sweep brass and refresh equipment in preparation for 1pm guest arrival.
- Perform legal research, investigate public land usage regs etc.
- Still more stuff that you and we think of!
If you impress us – you will be given more opportunities. If you are lazy, unhappy, rude, inappropriate, average, don’t want to learn or otherwise suck – we will not have much use for you. If we are not providing value to you, we hope you will not have much use for us! 🙂
Applicants should be 19+ years of age, with experience or ability to learn and enjoy “high-end” customer service, must thrive on hard work and be dedicated to attention to detail. You must demand of yourselves a high level of personal responsibility, have a strong work ethic and have the ability to work independently. Intern must not work other jobs while in Jackson and must be available at all times for last-minute needs. (If you are hired and are not thrilling us, we will happily lift this restriction) Owners work over 80 hours per week, and seek a realist that prefers S on the cashflow quadrant and has a “get it done” attitude that is not influenced by clocks.
- Fluent in Japanese, Chinese, French or Hindi
- Familiar with shooting sports
- NOT a C.O.D. enthusiast or otherwise violence-motivated
- Good physical condition
Our intern may or may not have a background in firearms. We are seeking the perfect person and as such will be able to quickly and thoroughly learn and apply the necessary skills for the position. If you sat quietly in school, stood when the bell rung, sat when the authority figure at the front of the classroom said so, are not creative or introspective, our company culture will not make you happy. If you have a history of tackling things and working super-hard, creating your own solutions to achieve your preferred outcomes etc – you will love this opportunity! By the way, if you read above “s in the cashflow quadrant” and either knew what it meant or immediately looked it up – you are our kinda person!
Don’t do this Internship “for the money.” This position’s REAL compensation is in knowledge, skills and experience. The money will not even support you. The successful Intern will be paid $15/hr for the basic range setup & maintenance duties, and at a higher rate as negotiated for additional hours/tasks. Health insurance is NOT included. The first 40 hours pay is not sufficient to live in Jackson Hole so Intern must have the financial means beyond intern compensation received from this internship or must have the natural internal drive to work a lot of hours beyond 40! Even then – this position will not make you rich!
Intern must have understanding that the cost of living in Jackson Hole is very high, (renting an extra bedroom in a ski-bum’s crappy apartment is $800+/mo, a 2-bedroom apartment is over $1500 if you rent it yourself…) and if you only want to work “government employee hours” (40) each week, this position will not provide even a lower-middle-class lifestyle. At intern’s request, our company will assist in locating housing. Intern will have an erratic schedule, with some weeks only working 14 hours and other weeks working 60+ hours (if you have proven you are capable). If intern is not willing to “suck it up” and “dive in” with their whole being; this is not the right opportunity.
College does not for the most part teach what really matters in the real world of small business. What most employers want is experience. Every Tom, Dick and Sally has a 4-year degree, but few have really truly experienced the real world! About once each week, a few to 10 of our team members join the company owners in their backyard to talk business development, drink beers, chat about philosophy, eat grilled food, encourage each other’s personal development and just chill. Want some experience? Come get some!
Internship Teaming Process
- We will review applications and provide more details of the position. How to apply? We will give each applicant 5 minutes of our time, so feel free to write stuff in a standard resume, make a video or audio file, or whatever else will communicate to us who you are and what you are all about. It should include your measurable goals for the summer and the dates you are available.
- We will then request a particular video clip from these top candidates.
- We will then ask top candidates to complete a DISC profile, then conduct a phone interview of top candidates.
- We will then select the top few candidates and invite them to bid on the internship.
More details – are we a good fit? Our philosophy.
- We are supposed to have a great and rewarding time serving our awesome guests, and our team never says junk like, “I was supposed to have this afternoon off.” NO! You are “supposed” to make money working long and hard hours being awesome supporting our mission to serve our guests! Right?
- Every part of our business is everyone’s “job” and none of our crew has ever said, “That isn’t my job.”
- This intern position, as with all intern positions, is where much of the “grunt work” is done. Be prepared to do the grunt work without complaining.
- Our team makes fast decisions that are usually good. A person that needs detailed direction and close micro-management will not do well.
- Our leadership team hates managing, we expect our team to be self-motivated intelligent problem-solvers that will manage themselves and if they don’t know something, will seek out the education. We will help you and empower you to do this. Not all personalities are right, and if you need step by step instructions for everything, maybe this isn’t a good fit. This is not the IBM of the 80’s.
- We sometimes take team members out to dinner after a project, and spend $40/person on buying everyone dinner. If you are grocery shopping the next morning, and remember we need a roll of paper towels at the range, a winner would buy them and take them to the range and not ask for $1.29 reimbursement and 5 minutes of work pay, right? We will “give” a ton, and we keep team members that do the same.
- 40 hours of work per week was a number the government invented, and it is ridiculous and ignored by entrepreneurs. If 60 hours’ worth of work needs to be done, let’s buck up and get it done rather than hiring another part-time person, right?
- A person with a great personality, a strong work ethic, absolute attention to detail and an open-minded desire to learn will discover that their time with us is well worthwhile and will be treasured for a lifetime.
- At the end of each week, we think that we got more from our team than we gave them. Our team members think they got more value than they gave.
- If you want to get fired; whine, start rumors, spread a negative attitude and spread low-moral etc.
- If you want to learn to make a ton of money and have fun and be part of the #1 work team in the Rocky Mountain region – please apply!
Jackson Hole Internship Opportunities 2017